How to Play Poker
We’ve included some products we think are useful for viewers. If you buy through any of these links, we will earn a small commission.
*As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Subscribe to wikiHow’s Weekly Newsletter for more helpful how-to’s:
Before you get started playing any type of 5-card poker, you’ll need to learn the 10 ways to win. In order from lowest to highest, they are:
1. High card.
2. Pair of cards, like two 2s.
3. Two pairs of cards, like two 5s and two 9s.
4. Three of a kind, like three 4s.
5. Straight, which is five cards in sequential order. For example, a player might have a 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 of any suit.
6. Flush, which is when a player has five cards of the same suit in any order. For example, a player might have a 2, 7, 10, Jack, and Queen of spades.
7. Full house, which is when a player has a pair and a three of a kind.
8. Four of a kind, like all four Aces.
9. Straight flush, which is when you have five cards in sequential order of the same suit. For example, a player might have a 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 of clubs.
10. Royal Flush, which is a straight flush containing a 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace.
If two people have the same hand, the person with the higher cards wins.
Here’s #howto play Texas Hold’Em:
• You’ll first need to bet your “ante,” which is your “buy in bet” to play the round. The ante is usually a small bet, like $1 or $5, and it’s decided by the table.
• Once everyone has bet their ante, the dealer will deal two cards to each player. Keep these cards secret from everyone else.
• Now, every player will take a look at their cards and choose whether or not to bet. Whenever there’s a betting round, you can choose to “fold,” which means not playing this round, “check,” which means matching their bet, or “raise,” which means adding more money to the betting pool.
• Players that are unwilling to “check” a bet have to fold; and if everyone but one player “folds,” that player wins!
• Once everyone has bet, the dealer will reveal three cards. These cards are known as the “flop.” When you see the flop, start planning what hand you want to make, keeping in mind that there are still two more cards to be revealed. For example, are your cards both diamonds, and did the flop include two diamond cards? In that case, you might want to aim for a flush, which is when you have five cards of the same suit.
• After the flop, everyone has the chance to bet again, before the dealer reveals the next card, which is the “turn.”
• Bet again if you want to, then the dealer will reveal the “river,” which is the last card.
• At this point, you’ll see a total of 7 cards: two in your hands, and five on the table. Now, players will bet once last time, then everyone will reveal their hand. Your goal is to create the highest hand possible out of those seven cards, even if it means only using one card from your hand and four cards from the table.
• The player with the best hand wins!
For more tips and strategies:
Follow our social media channels to find more interesting, easy, and helpful guides!
Ross brought me here
I am coming d'arby
slowly puts away deck of cards
Kakegurui also brought me here 😂
I'm still kinda confused lmao
Here because of poker vr game lol
Casino royale brings me here.
are you speaking english? 😂 whats going on?
Wikihow has a YOUTUBE???
Hi stranger. Just wanted to let you know that Jesus loves you and so do I <3.
Who is kakeguri everyone is talking about?
I'm here cause of Red Dead Redemption
U r the reason I lost to Rezalonghaed
Bro RDR what got me here
Bruh I’m doing this for RDR2
I’m still confused
Red Dead brought me here
Red Dead Redemption 2 brought me here.
Am I the only one not here from a cartoon character?
I'm a writer and I need to write a scene with poker-
rust got me here
the book im writing needs this video. im still confused
Need this for read dead redemption
Red dead brought me here
Anyone here from yakuza/judgement? Lmao
I’m here because of dead rising
Im here because of rdr2
This just makes poker so much more complicated 😐 , guys if you really want to learn how to play poker just mess around in some fake money games. I did it and I know the ins and outs of the rules
I just wanna know if I’m winning or not
woooo just won 30 bucks
Let's Go! #pokerdays
Thanks, now I can understand the plot of Casino Royale
I am here because:
2) my dad found his old poker set
Lol everyone here from kakeguri the kaiji one poker arc brought me here
Anyone else here because they just wanted to learn?
I went here so i could also teach my friend and play for fun
I'm an 11 year old learning this instead of math
<<When i grow up i'll try gambling lol>>
I imagine the terminator would be a brilliant poker player
I came here because of yumeko
Played it when I was little , about time I get back into it
I came from red dead
I was having a practice go and had the same cards at 4:32 definitely messed with my head
im learning poker because im trying to beat d-arby in jojo ps1
I’m just trying to learn how to play poker since I was 12
No game no life has brought me here